Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gotta Love January in New York!

It's our day of departure and woke up to what else....SNOW!!! Naturally Mike is in a panic that our plane is not going to make it to Fort Lauderdale in time for embarkation but I know better. Limo picked us up right on time at 3:30am and we had a hair raising ride to the airport but arrived at Newark with plenty of time to spare. Our plane was already on the ground having arrived from Houston the night before, so that was a good sign. Checked our suitcases and golf bags -- two of which were well over the 50 pound limit but gotta love those skycap guys; we didn't have to pay any extra weight fees. Settled in to the food court outside of our gate for some coffee and laptop time. Our plane was all systems go for a 7:35am departure. Spent some time finishing up computer work, checking e-mails, etc. Next thing I realize, I look down at the little clock icon on the computer screen and it says 7:17!!! Holy Crap! We're the first people in the airport and we almost miss boarding anyway!

Mike and I had aisle and window seats with an empty seat between us but the plane filled up at the last minute so we end up having a passenger between us. Before I explain what ensued, you must first use your imagination to picture the passengers on this very crowded plane. Think....who is going to be flying from New York to Ft. Lauderdale?? I'll give you 3 guesses and the first two don't count! Anyway, the girl who ends up in the middle seat is a bratty, teenager (17-19 y.o) who is pitching a fit and calling her father on her cell phone to complain about having to sit "in the middle". If she had exhibited even a modicum of decency and civility either one of us would have switched seats -- but there was no way in hell I was about to let this little bitch have her way.

The plane was delayed for about an hour while they conducted the de-icing procedures. It didn't matter to me -- I was sound asleep anyway. And, I probably would have slept all the way to Ft. Lauderdale, EXCEPT, I was rudely awoken by someone someone pummeling my arm, pinching and poking me. It was the middle seat Bitch who was having a fit that my arm was on HER armrest. Groggy from Dramamine, I can barely get an intelligible sentence out but I think I must have said the word SHARE because she then started screaming that she didn't have to share -- since she was sitting in the middle, she got the use of BOTH armrests. Mike thought I was going to slug her but the dramamine was too strong and I just fell back to sleep making sure to keep my arm well clear of her arm rest!

No comments: