Sunday, January 25, 2009

Embarkation

Once we had retrieved our bags from the carousel, it was only a few steps out the door to pick up one of the waiting taxis to take us to the port. The cost $20; the time about 15 minutes. We got to the pier around noon and I was prepared for a long wait since I saw a number of people queuing up around the door waiting to pass through security. As the taxi driver was unloading our bags to turn over to one of the stevedores, the most horrifying thought struck me.....My Regent color-coded luggage tags were not on my bags. When Mr. Stevedore said, "that's okay, just put them on now" the second horrifying thought struck me: I DON'T HAVE MY CRUISE DOCUMENTS! Remember earlier, in my blog when I was talking about how nice the documents were presented? And I took pictures to post? Well, I left the whole damned package in my home computer room!!!! I did in fact have a copy of my paid Regent invoice showing my name, cabin #, etc. which you DO need in order to pass through Port Security but you don't need the actual cruise documents in case the same kind of thing ever happens to someone else!

We were given a # and instructed to wait in a "pod" of people until it was time to be checked in but by the time we figured out we were supposed to be in the "pod" they called our # and we headed over to wait on the check in line. It seemed like it might take a while, but actually went rather quickly.

Once the check in was completed and we had turned over our passports (yes, that is something that Regent does unlike other cruise lines) and received our room key cards -- presented to us in a handy little credit card holder/business card holder -- it was time to climb aboard for our first view of the Mariner.

No comments: